The 2019 GUF Colloquium, "Rome through the eyes of Ignatius," started a day early with some of our group joining us for the October 5th Consistory at a packed St Peter's Basilica.
The next day GUF President, Fr Alan Fogarty, SJ welcomed the entire group with a special Mass at a private chapel in the Pantheon. Everyone marveled at the altar's Madonna dating to 609 AD. The evening continued with a Grand Hotel de la Minerva rooftop dinner where everyone enjoyed the opportunity to talk with several Jesuit professors and administrations at our three institutions: The Pontifical Gregorian University, the Pontifical Biblical Institute and the Pontifical Oriental Institute.
The week went much too quickly as every day was filled with special opportunities including revisiting favorites as well as several new to our agenda. By the end of the trip, it was very hard for all to say arrivederci! We hope you will join us for the 2021 Colloquium!
Highlights of the trip included:
- Meeting students at all three institutions and touring their facilities
- Talking with Rectors and faculty to better understand their work and the needs
- Opening of the school year Masses
- Private tour of the Sistine Chapel and dinner at the Vatican Museum
- Mass at the altar of St John XXIII in St Peter's
- Meeting Pope Francis at the end of the Papal Audience
- Rooftops visits of the Jesuit Curia and Pontifical Biblical Institute
- Mass in the rooms of St Ignatius
- Strolls through the Vatican Gardens and Borghese Gardens
- Evening run to Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps
- Special lunches and dinners meeting new friends and seeing familiar faces