Upcoming events in MAY 2018: (click the images for full info & tickets on each event)
Thursday, May 17th • 6pm-8pm
Cocktails & Bourbon for BBQ! @ Addie’s at the Woodford Inn (Versailles, KY)
$50/ea • [more info & tix]Learn the basics of making craft cocktails with Bourbon from Executive-Bourbon-Steward Tim Knittel and how to pair Bourbon with different types of BBQ! Plus get tips on BBQ techniques from Addie's own Chef Brian and a "BBQ Tasting" dinner showcasing different meats, woods, gourmet sides and desserts.
Saturday, May 19th • 2-3:30pm
Bourbon 101 @ Whiskey Bear Bar (Lexington, KY)
$30/ea • [more info & tix]Discover everything you wanted to know about Bourbon! Whiskey Bear will be hosting Tim Knittel - Executive Bourbon Steward and Adjunct Professor of Bourbon Studies for a special Bourbon 101 tasting. We’ll talk about how bourbon is made, what makes it different than other spirits and other whiskeys, plus you’ll learn how an industry professional tastes and evaluates bourbon.
Bourbon University @ The Kentucky Castle 230 Pisgah Pike, Versailles, KY • $35/ea
Bourbon has traditionally (in modern times) been made from:
• Limestone water,
• Yellow dent corn plus malted barley, wheat and/or rye grains,
• Sour mash fermentation,
• Column still distillation, and
• Aging in a new, charred oak barrel.
But the new generation of craft distillers is expanding and experimenting with how Bourbon can be made. Using variants like specially grown heirloom corn, unusual grain bills, sweet mash fermentation, pot still distillation and unusual maturation techniques.
Bourbons (and near Bourbons) probably* will include:
• Mellow Corn by Heaven Hill - an American corn whiskey (not Bourbon)
• James E. Pepper "1776" Straight Rye 100 Proof - rye whiskey *technically* isn’t Bourbon
• Blue Dog Whiskey by Bluegrass Distillers - made with heirloom blue corn
• Kentucky Dark Fired Whiskey by MB Roland Distillery - made with smoked corn
• Ryemageddon by Corsair - American rye whiskey distilled from malted rye & chocolate rye
• Wilderness Trail Bottled-in-Bond Bourbon - sweet mash fermented
• O.Z. Tyler Bourbon - after a year and a day of aging, the Bourbon is TerraPURE filtered before finally being bottled
This class is the fifth in our year-long “Bourbon University” with a new theme offered each month.
Led by The Kentucky Castle's Bourbon-Steward-in-Residence, Tim Knittel.
➡ No need to attend them all - mix and match as you like!
Each Wednesday in May (2, 9, 16, 23 and 30) 6:00pm - 7:30pm and the Third Sunday (20) 3:00pm - 4:30pm.
* The thing about craft, experimental and near Bourbons is that they’re often in very limited releases … so everything is subject to availability. We’ll have an awesome pour list even if it’s not these exact spirits!