A Message From Carol Zilli, Executive Director
"It’s not only what we do with music, it’s what it does for us!”
It was another amazing MFMII school year, especially when MFMII turned 30 in January! A quick review of the highlights reveals lots of musical joy experienced by all and some traditional and new and exciting events to start off our 30th year of volunteer service to children with a musical gong!
- Our biggest training classes of 50+ new Docents
- 96 Total New and Returning Docents
- 210 Classrooms/teachers served
- Almost 5,000 students received weekly MFMII music enrichment
- Peter and the Wolf presentation by former Docent Jonna Carlile at our Back to MFMII Night
- MFMII Kids Choir holiday performances at Niles School, Centerville Tree Lighting, Christmas Concert at Pathway Community Church, joining the Fremont Symphony Youth Orchestra for their “Season of Love” holiday concert and presenting their annual “Sing for Spring Concert in May
- Lots of wonderful school site performances led by our dedicated docents.
- Carol Zilli receives the Jefferson Award in San Francisco and MFMII is featured on KPIX /CBS News TV which included video coverage of Carol docenting in her granddaughter’s kindergarten classroom at Niles School in Fremont where Carol started MFMII in 1988.
- A fun-filled Circle Dancing Workshop led by Maureen Atkins at Niles School when lots of docents put their dancin’ shoes on!
- Monthly Docent Sharing Sessions in Fremont and Castro Valley, countless MFMII Family Music Nights at school sites culminating in our first community Free Family Music Festival at the Niles Town Plaza in Fremont featuring our docents in three music stations. Two wonderful board members and talented musicians and recording artists, Lori and RJ, kept the beat going on the train station platform.
- Open Houses, K Orientations, community booths, and presentations continued
- Annual Volunteer Recognition Year-end Luncheon to celebrate everyone!
Yes, it was a very good year and we look forward to celebrating again at our upcoming 30th Anniversary Gala on Nov.9th in Fremont.
Last month I shared with you Part I of the Music For Minors II story. If you missed it, you can view it here. Today I would like to share with you Part II of our story, and hope you enjoy!
Part II of the MFMII Story: 1998-2008
This decade marked continued expansion of the MFMII program from serving 2,500 students in 1998 to reaching 4,000 children in 2001 in three school districts: Fremont, Newark, and Castro Valley Unified along with the addition of the Extended Day Care Centers (EDCC) in Pleasanton and Dublin. MFMII began training the EDCC teachers who then shared the music with children during their before and after school program.
Volunteer recruitment has been ongoing but what is essential is caring, dedicated, unselfish parents and community members who stepped up and took our training classes to make the musical difference in children’s lives and their own because that’s what music does! Our Docents are the core and heart of MFMII because they directly impact the children! Read More