ProtectDefenders.eu partners are expressing their deep concern about the recent killings and the constant plight of human rights defenders in Honduras. In October 2016:
- Fernando Alemán Banegas, the son of the woman Human Rights Defender, Esly Emperatriz Banegas, who has been denouncing for years the situation of human rights in Bajo Aguán, was killed.
- A burglary was reported at the offices of the LGBTI organisation AJEM / Somos CDC, adding to the repeated harassment and death threats against its members.
In the last twelve months, ProtectDefenders.eu has supported Human Rights Defenders from Honduras through :
- 12 emergency grants to implement individual security measures and urgently relocate away from danger;
- a twelve-month relocation grant to a human rights defender and his family;
- two grants to fund the advocacy activities of local human rights organisations;
- six trainings or capacity-building initiatives for Honduran defenders.
ProtectDefenders.eu has carried out a fact-finding mission and a trial monitoring in the country and carries out monitoring and advocacy activities in the field on an ongoing basis, with a strong focus on land and environmental defenders as well as indigenous peoples.