Avalon’s Fishing Pier extends over the ocean on a rough, windy day. North Wildwood and amusements on the Wildwood Boardwalk are visible in the background.
FROM ICE TO NICE! Several days of ice and bitter winds have given way to warm sunshine, with mid-week highs pushing 60 degrees this week. Ice was still present in the back bays on Monday afternoon, but by Tuesday all traces of it were gone after Monday’s sunshine melted it away.
LAST WEEK’S EXTREME COLD has disappeared, but not before the Wildwood Police Department made a great impression on residents and others in the area. The Police Department announced that students walking to school in the frigid temperatures could flag down an officer for a ride to school instead. The department received numerous favorable comments on its Facebook page as a result of the offer.
A NEW FISHING PIER in Avalon Manor was discussed at the January 23rd Middle Township Committee meeting. The old fishing pier, which used to be part of the Avalon Boulevard Bridge, was closed in 2016 due to its poor condition. A new fishing pier could cost $800,000, including $75,000 for demolition of the old pier. Open Space funding could cover much of the cost of the project.
204 BALD EAGLE NESTS exist in New Jersey, including 185 with eggs, according to a recent USA Today article. That’s up from just one documented nest in 1973. The population has rebounded dramatically since the 1972 banning of the pesticide DDT, which had caused eagle egg shells to be too thin to survive incubation. Many of today’s active nests are located in Cape May County, with many more along the Delaware Bay shoreline; one pair of bald eagles was sighted behind Stone Harbor in an osprey nest this past fall.
AVALON VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT sponsored a training class titled “Ladder Company Officer” last week, hosting instructors from the Camden City Fire Department and Newark City Fire Department. Avalon FD also extended an invitation to all neighboring fire departments to attend the class free of charge. 134 fire fighters from New Jersey and as far away as Pennsylvania attended the class hosted in Avalon.
THE 11TH ANNUAL POLAR BEAR RUN/WALK FOR AUTISM takes place in Sea Isle City on Sunday, February 17th. The family friendly event raises funds for special services schools, autism support groups, and families of special-needs children in Cape May and Atlantic Counties. The 5K run and 1-mile walk will begin at noon from JFK Boulevard and the Promenade; the run will proceed south and the walk will proceed north. Online registration is available at www.polarbearrunwalkforautism.com
PUNXSUTAWNEY PHIL has predicted an early spring; when asked for comment, Phil let it be known that, truth be told, he actually prefers summer instead. If you agree with Phil, check out our 2019 Vacation Guide and contact me to arrange your summer vacation! View the guide here: https://www.flipsnack.com/franzeographics/long-and-foster-avalon-stone-harbor-rental-brochure-fd1kyp3nr.html
- The Valentine’s Express, Cape May Seashore Lines, Richland Station, Friday, February 8 and Saturday February 9. Visit www.CapeMaySeashoreLines.org for info & tickets.
- Avalon Home and Land Owners Association meeting featuring a guest speaker from Cape Express, Avalon’s Senior Center, 10AM, Saturday, February 9
- Genealogy & Ancestry with Casey Zahn, learn about your family history & tracing your roots, register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Free Public Library, 2-4PM, Saturday, February 9
- ‘Wine & Chocolate’ Wine Trail Weekend at Hawk Haven Vineyard, Saturday, February 9
- Sea Isle City Polar Bear Weekend, festivities all weekend with the plunge on Saturday, February 16 at 2PM, Friday-Sunday, February 15-17
- Avalon Beach Party, bring the kids for an indoor beach party including the limbo, music, crafts and a game, Avalon Free Public Library, 10-11AM, Saturday, February 16
- Creative Writing Seminar, tips & feedback on poetry, stories, books, etc., register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Free Public Library, 10AM-Noon, Saturday, February 16
- Beck’s Philadelphia Brigade Band, music from an authentic Civil War era brass band performed in dress uniform to commemorate Presidents’ Day, Avalon Free Public Library, 2-3PM, Saturday, February 16
- Uncorked Comedy at Willow Creek Farm & Winery, 3 course wine paired dinner & comedy show, 6-10PM, Saturday, February 16
- Third Saturday Comedy with Headliner Tim Krompier & featuring Bob Marsdale, Harbor Square Theater in Stone Harbor, 9PM, Saturday, February16
- Tea & Memory Sharing at the Avalon History Center at 215-39th Street, 11AM, Thursday, February 21
- Pick a Language to Learn with Cathy Zane using numerous offerings in Rosetta Stone or Mago, Avalon Free Public Library, 10-11:30AM, Saturday, February, 23
- Windows Computers & Android Smart Phone Drop In-Tech Workshop, help with your computer, phone, software or an app, Avalon Free Public Library, 11:30AM-1PM, Saturday, February 23
- The Storm of ’62 Slide Show depicting the storm & its impact, Avalon History Center at 215-39th Street, 1-2PM, Saturday, March 2
- Avalon’s Shop-a-Holics Weekend, designers, deals & drinks, Princeton Bar & Grill & the Whitebrier, 4-9PM on Thursday & Friday, March 7 & 8 and 10AM-6PM on Saturday, March 9
- Fiddle Club, students from Music Studios in Linwood & professional musicians perform Irish songs to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, Avalon Free Public Library, 1-2PM, Saturday, March 9
- Stone Harbor Shiver Polar Plunge Pre-Shiver party, The Reeds, 6-9PM, Friday, March 15
- Kegs & Eggs Pre-Shiver Celebration, Fred’s Tavern, 10AM, Saturday, March 16
- Parade to the 96th Street beach from behind Fred’s Tavern, starts at Noon, Saturday, March 16
- Stone Harbor Shiver Polar Plunge, 96th Street Beach, following the parade from Fred’s Tavern which begins at Noon, Saturday, March 16
- Apple Computer, iPads & iPhones Drop-In Tech Workshop, Avalon Free Public Library, 1-3:30PM, Saturday, March 16
Exquisite new construction on an oversized beachblock lot in Avalon’s South End!
168 67th St., Avalon, $7,250,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 184489
1114 Stone Harbor Boulevard, Stone Harbor Manor, $649,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185858
498 Avalon Boulevard, Avalon Manor, $849,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185872
870 21st Street, Avalon, $1,595,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185974
425 99th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,695,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185875
Properties Under Contract:
700 First Avenue, Unit 406, Avalon, $599,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 184107
305 109th Street, Stone Harbor, $835,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 180598
395 22nd Street, Avalon, $1,049,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 184984
219 25th Street, Avalon, $1,250,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 185951
243 22nd Street, Avalon, $1,695,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 185889
27 Flamingo Drive, Avalon, $3,495,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 185698
76 E. 26th Street, Avalon, $4,595,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 178320
355 40th Street, Avalon, $707,500, SOLD MLS#: 184402
6890 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $1,140,000, SOLD MLS#: 185162
3916 Fourth Avenue, Avalon, $1,250,000, SOLD MLS#: 185133
283 100th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,225,000, SOLD MLS#: 183058
151 21st Street, Avalon, $2,575,000, SOLD MLS#: 184255