The remains of a shipwreck at Hereford Inlet, as they appeared on December 23rd, 2018. Photo courtesy of Ron Soldano.
SHIPWRECK AT HEREFORD INLET! Tides and currents at Stone Harbor Point revealed the wooden frame of a ship, long buried in the sand. Located roughly a mile south of 122nd Street, the ship’s timbers were exposed at low tide and awash at high tide. Word of the visible wreck spread locally and eventually was covered by mainstream media, including several newspapers, television news stations and Time Magazine. Dozens of visitors at a time made the trek on the sand to visit the wreck and get a glimpse of the large timbers, wooden pegs, and copper sheeting used in its construction.
Based on its location many believe the wreck could be the D.H. Ingraham, which was carrying lime bound for Virginia when it ran aground in Hereford Inlet on the night of December 4, 1886, in a nor’easter. The D.H. Ingraham crew lit a torch to signal for help, and all five members of the crew were saved by the crew of the Anglesea Lifesaving Station, who rowed a lifeboat a mile into the wind, waves, and snow in order to reach the helpless vessel. The lifeboat crew rowed the D.H. Ingraham crew back to the lifesaving station, where they spent several days.
In the time since the ship was exposed, the tides and winds have worked to cover it again; each day a bit more of the wreck disappears into the sand. See more photos below. For more on the D.H. Ingraham and the rescue of its crew, visit http://sunbythesea.com/ww/the-wreck-of-the-d-h-ingraham/
Most of the wreck remained exposed after Christmas Day. Wooden pegs used during the ship’s construction are visible in this photo by Noelle Guest.
Dozens of visitors observed and photographed the wreck on New Year’s Day, as sand was beginning to cover it.
By January 7th much of the wreck had been reclaimed by the sand. Here, Austin Lavis observes the visible portions of the timbers. Photo courtesy of Kim Lex.
FLOOD INSURANCE POLICIES are still being written and renewed during the government shutdown, says Mike Mento of Prosperity Home Mortgage. However, Mike reports that federal tax return transcripts are not being processed during the shutdown. Prosperity is NOT requiring tax transcripts prior to closing, so as not to delay transactions. Have a mortgage question or need Mike’s help? Give him a call at (609) 839-1203, or email him at Michael.Mento@PHMLoans.com.
NEW SMOKE ALARM REQUIREMENTS: The State of New Jersey has adopted new requirements for stand-alone (battery powered) smoke detectors. Effective January 1st, all stand-alone detectors must be of the 10-year sealed-battery type, rather than the replaceable-battery type used in the past. Note, if your smoke detectors are of the interconnected 110-volt type (i.e. “hardwired,” with a battery backup, as installed in all recent new construction) they are exempt from the change. But older homes with only battery powered detectors must switch over to the new sealed, 10-year battery type for transfer inspections.
INTEREST RATES, after creeping upward, have come back down from their recent highs. The average 30-year rate was 4.51% on January 3rdaccording to the Freddie Mac weekly survey. If you are considering a purchase, it’s an excellent time to lock in low borrowing costs!
START THE NEW YEAR OFF RIGHT! Plan your 2019 vacation! Want to browse our 2019 Rental Guide? Check out dozens of oceanfront, bayfront, beachblock, and inside homes by clicking here: https://www.flipsnack.com/franzeographics/long-and-foster-avalon-stone-harbor-rental-brochure-fd1kyp3nr.html
BETTER YET, make it permanent! Let’s talk about your very own shore home! Whether you’re after relaxation and a water view, or rental income to help pay for your purchase, I’ll help you find the perfect shore property! Call me today to get started!
- Lunch & Learn at the Wetlands Institute, explanation of topics important to coastal & wetland ecosystems, bring your lunch, coffee & dessert provided, 11:45AM-1PM, Friday, January 11
- Fire Pit Friday at the Willow Creek Farms & Winery, music, enclosed outside Wine Bar, full wine & tapas menu, 609-770-8782 to reserve seating, 5:30-9PM, Friday, January 11
- Beer Dinner at the Cape May Ferry Terminal in North Cape May featuring a 5 course meal paired with a selection of Slack Tide beers, 6:30-9:30PM, Friday, January 11
- Drop in Tech Workshop for Apple computers, iPads & iPhones, help with your Apple devices, Avalon Free Public Library, 11:30AM-1PM, Saturday, January 12
- Teatime at the Avalon History Center, enjoy tea & share memories of Old Avalon, 11AM-Noon, Thursday, January 17
- Food Bank Collections for Holy Redeemer Food Bank & Cape May County Animal Shelter in observance of the National Day of Service, staff will be accepting donations at the Avalon Free Public Library, 9AM-5PM, Saturday, January 19
- Lego Competition for kids Grades K-8, Legos provided, Avalon Free Public Library, 10AM, Saturday, January 19
- Art Workshop with Joyce Kuhn, use your creativity & decorate your own Valentine Wreath, pre-register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Free Public Library, 10AM-Noon, Saturday, January 19
- Creative Writing Seminar, tips & feedback on poetry, memoirs, short stories, articles & books, register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Free Public Library, 10AM-Noon, Saturday, January 19
- Comedy Uncorked, 3 course wine paired dinner & a comedy show, Willow Creek Winery in West Cape May, 6-10PM, Saturday, January 19
- Wetlands Institute Covered Dish Dinner with Guest Speaker, $7 for members, $12 for non-members, bring a dish to share, 6PM, Friday, January 25
- Windows Computer & Android Smartphones Drop-In Tech Workshop, help with your computer, phone, software or an app, Avalon Free Public Library, 10AM-11:30AM, Saturday, January 26
- Presentation by historian Jerry McNeff, “John & Abigail Adams, The 1st American Power Couple,” Avalon Free Public Library, 1-2PM, Saturday, February 2
- Genealogy & Ancestry with Casey Zahn, learn about your family history & tracing your roots, register at 609-967-7155, Avalon Free Public Library, 2-4PM, Saturday, February 9
This six bedroom, six-and-a-half bath Tom Welsh-built home includes an elevator, a pool, and is located in Avalon’s beachblock!
26 E. 11th Street, Avalon, $3,195,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 184400
9501 Sunset Drive, Stone Harbor, $575,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185523
3249 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $799,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185442
388 39th Street, Avalon, $999,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185370
4125 Fourth Avenue, Avalon, $1,469,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185388
2768 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $1,850,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185437
75 W. 24th Street, Avalon, $1,895,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185539
818 1st Avenue, Avalon, $2,050,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185503
272 90th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,195,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185469
10609 First Avenue, Stone Harbor, $2,200,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185540
261 60th Street, Avalon, $2,249,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185535
169 89th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,495,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185510
11817 Paradise Drive, Stone Harbor, $2,595,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185455
226 67th Street, Avalon, $3,795,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185395
179 114th Street, Stone Harbor, $4,395,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185481
319 62nd Street, Avalon, $7,500,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 185411
Properties Under Contract:
317 83 Street, Stone Harbor, $549,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 185144
65 W. 21st Street, Avalon, $2,395,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 185186
226 108th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,599,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 182725
5748 Dune Drive, Avalon, $2,795,000, UNDER CONTRACT MLS#: 182705
150 96th Street, Stone Harbor, $532,500, SOLD MLS#: 183867
8218 Third Avenue, Stone Harbor, $595,000, SOLD MLS#: 181014
700 First Avenue, Avalon, $619,000, SOLD MLS#: 184722
355 40th Street, Avalon, $707,500, SOLD MLS#: 184402
148 21st Street, Avalon, $1,455,000, SOLD MLS#: 180793
1248 Avalon Avenue, Avalon, $1,525,000, SOLD MLS#: 184020
136 16th Street, Avalon, $1,595,000, SOLD MLS#: 181580
2109 Harbor Avenue, Avalon, $1,650,000, SOLD MLS#: 184599
140 105th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,140,000, SOLD MLS#: 183440
11717 Paradise Drive, Stone Harbor, $2,422,500, SOLD MLS#: 184543
33 W. 25th Street, Avalon, $2,518,375, SOLD MLS#: 183866
43 Flamingo Drive, Avalon, $4,050,000, SOLD MLS#: 184437
94 E. 14th Street, Avalon, $4,100,000, SOLD MLS#: 183322