It’s that time of year again to make your Optional Case and QI Declaration for 2023!
This email outlines general information for you to review with your supervisor and/or quality teams about selecting the Optional Hysterectomy cases, Site-Directed Measure, and QI Pilot project for the 2023 QI project year.
You will need to make your case selections declaration for the 2023 calendar year on or before Monday, December 19, 2022.
Optional Case Selection – Additional Hysterectomy Case Volume
- Hysterectomy procedures are optional for data collection again in 2023
- Your site may choose to collect the optional Hysterectomy cases if you have a special QI interest in that area, or if you need the extra volume to supplement your FTE.
- On the declaration form, you can select either:
- Core cases only (2023 will include breast cases)
- Core + Hysterectomy cases
- If you are participating in the MOQC project, you will need to select Core + Hysterectomy.
- You may only change your optional case selections on an annual basis.
- Your declared 2023 case selection/volume will take effect beginning with January 1, 2023 operation date.
2023 Site-Directed Outcome Measure
- Sites choose a measure they are performing above/below the MSQC threshold or one that needs improvement.
- Your site will choose from one of the following outcome measures below to work on reducing in the 2023 project year: SSI, sepsis, pneumonia, readmissions, reoperations, ED visits, UTI, or VTE.
- You can focus on all MSQC procedures, or if you are a larger site, you may want to focus on one or two procedure groups.
- When your site declares what you will be focusing on in 2023, you will be asked to provide a brief justification for the outcome measure and procedure group selections.
Quality Improvement Initiative (QII) ‐ Pilot Project
Your site will also select a pilot project to work on in 2023. Each project has different requirements. Please refer to the 2023 Quality Improvement webpage to find project descriptions and other details. The options include:
- SUCCESS Project (must have been abstracting SUCCESS data starting no later than August 1, 2022 to select this project)
- Appropriate Preoperative Screening for Low-Risk Surgeries Pilot Project
- Frailty Pathway Project
2024 FTE Model
Please review your current optional case selection and decide if you would like to opt in or out of the Hysterectomy case collection, considering how the cases selected may affect your 2023 volume and 2024 FTE payment.
To assist in determining the best option for your site, below are the details:
sampled & completed case volume / 840 = FTE
- Volume accrued from sampled (and MOQC oversampled) and completed cases from operation dates January 1, 2023 through December 31, 2023 will contribute to the 2024 FTE payment.
- Complete and oversampled MOQC cases will contribute to the annual volume
- 1.0 FTE equates to 840 sampled and complete cases and FTE is prorated above and below the 1.0 FTE threshold based on the site’s actual volume
- Cycle volume will remain at 20 cases/cycle which includes up to 4 optional hysterectomy cases
- There are 46 cycles maximum annually, and 4 vacation cycles are allowed per site
- Again, for the 2024 FTE Model, hospital size and case volume will determine the hospital's maximum FTE earning potential.
- Large bed size/volume sites, consisting of greater than 500 beds and/or having 2000 uploaded cases annually, will be offered the opportunity to collect up to 8 additional optional hysterectomy cases/cycle (to total 28 cases/cycle maximum) and earn proportionally additional FTE up to a maximum of 1.53.
- You will be notified if your site fits this model.
- To determine the exact FTE earned, use the following formula:
MSQC's Clinical/QI Support staff is available to help you and your team understand how the optional cases selected may impact your FTE volume and QI activities, and to help make your QI - Case Selection Declaration for 2023. Cheryl, Jami, Pam, and Kim will be available via email to answer any site-specific questions.
Optional Case and QI Declaration for 2023
When you are ready to declare your Site-Directed Measure, QI pilot project, and optional case selection, you can access the form using this Qualtrics link. You will need to make your case selection declarations for the 2023 calendar year on or before Monday, December 19, 2022.
As always, please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions.
The MSQC Coordinating Center Team