Dear SCQRs, supervisors and quality teams,
Happy New Year! As we ramp up in 2023, we wanted to send you this email to help you prepare for the MSQC program changes and QI/data collection changes for 2023 procedures.
- 2023 MSQC Program Manual, 2023 updates supplemental document, sampling frame template, cycle schedules, 30-day follow-up letters, data collection sheets, and other abstraction resources are available in the MSQC Workstation Resources.
- 2023 QI Projects webpage includes PI Scorecard, QI project requirements, and supplemental documents
- See below for the QI Webinar Kickoff information
Transition to MSQC 2023 Data Collection
During the first few weeks and months of 2023, SCQRs will be uploading cases with operation dates in *both* 2022 and 2023. Every site is at a different stage with respect to the operation dates they are working on, so in order to make this overlap period as smooth as possible, please note the following:
- Please do not sample or abstract any 2023 cycles until at least February 1, 2023, or until you hear otherwise.
- Please use the 2023 Sampling Frame Template for 2023 cases, CPT code changes include new breast cases and retired vascular. This and an updated Google Sheets version is available for download in the MSQC Workstation Resources.
- If you upload January 2023 cases prior to this date you will need to re-upload any breast cases in each cycle due to the sampling changes in 2023.
- If you have changed your optional case selection from 2022 (i.e., retired vascular, added/removed hysterectomy), please reach out when you are ready to sample Cycle 1 or we will be in touch so that this change can be implemented before you sample Cycle 1.
- The ArborMetrix system will automatically check the operation date for any given case before you start abstracting, and automatically present either 2022 or 2023 tabs and variables for data entry. No action is necessary on your part.
- Use the 2023 Program Manual when you begin abstracting 2023 cases. There have been many updates, clarifications, deletions, and additions to the Manual, variables, and definitions. See the supplemental document for an overview of all the changes. Thank you to the SCQRs on the Data Definitions Team for all your input and suggestions.
- Data integration, for sites that have this implemented, will automatically map data to the appropriate tab. No action is necessary on your part, but if you or your IT have questions, please contact MSQC-Info@med.umich.edu.
- Training for breast case abstraction will be available soon, and there is CPT code guidance in the SCQR Resources section of the 2023 Manual to assist with case selection.
Transition to 2023 Quality Improvement
- QI Kickoff Webinars are available for each project option, the dates, times, and links to join are below; recordings and slides will be available here.
- There has been a change in the numerator for the 2023 Site-Directed “related to surgery” measures – ED, readmission, reoperation, “Yes” and “Unknown” cases will be included in the numerator
- Please review the SCQR Forum messages sent from Jami on 1/13 and on 1/16:
- MSQC pulled final 2022 project data on Tuesday 1/17, this included all completed cases thru 1/16/2023.
- 2023 Site-Directed Measure baselines were also pulled Tuesday 1/17, and will include all 2022 completed cases as of Monday 1/16/2023.
- The Site-Directed Measure document and Tracking Sheets for all QI 3 projects were updated on the QI webpage on 1/13 to reflect this date change
As always, please let us know if you have any questions.
The Coordinating Center MSQCCustomerSupport@med.umich.edu
The MSQC Clinical Team MSQC-Info@med.umich.edu