As we continue to monitor the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak, Alexandria Library is committed to keeping both customers and staff safe and healthy. Alexandria Library facilities will be closed and outreach services suspended until further notice.
Although library branches are closed, telephone support and virtual reference will continue Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm.
Some additional specifics include:
- In addition to live phone support, online chat service will be available Monday through Friday 8am to 11pm, Saturday 9am to 9pm, and Sunday 12pm – 9pm.
- Reference service is also available via Ask a Librarian on our website.
- All meeting room bookings are cancelled until further notice.
- All due dates on physical items you currently have checked out will be extended until the Library reopens. Please feel free to keep those items for now; however, the book drops will remain open for your convenience.
- Overdue fines will be waived.
- Holds will be suspended and unavailable.
- No new interlibrary loan requests will be processed; customers should keep any loans currently in their possession until the library reopens.
- No donated materials will be accepted until further notice.
- WiFi will continue to be available and can be accessed in the parking lots.
- The Talking Books service will continue to provide materials via mail to blind and physically handicapped customers.
eBooks, eAudiobooks, and Other Digital Resources
While libraries are closed, you’ll still find plenty of resources available in our online catalog. The Library has purchased additional eBooks and eAudiobooks to increase your options. We also have available many other digital resources – including free training, streaming music, periodicals, and research databases.
In addition, library staff have already begun to provide online services including technology training and story hours through our Youtube channel.
Please also see this list of available services
and a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
We want to resume full operations as quickly and safely as possible. To that end, we’ll work closely with the Alexandria City government and the Alexandria Health Department to keep you informed of any changes. We look forward to welcoming everyone back when we reopen.
Please check alexlibraryva.org
and social media for real-time updates on what we’re doing as this public health situation continues.