Ideas for Families
We have added a new section for families
on the Active Learning Space site! We are especially grateful to Sarah Lundgren, Lori Enroth, Maribel Gardea, and others for sharing ideas and videos of some of the things they have tried at home with their own children.
While we hope that families will find information in lots of different places on the site, we wanted to create a special section with information and ideas to try at home. Some of the tips (which also hold true for teachers and therapists) include:
- Do what you can and start where you are!
- Don't let cost be an obstacle.
- Organize the environment to encourage exploration.
- Invite families and friends to contribute.
- Help children learn to entertain themselves.
- Allow time for practice.
The photo below shows an example of a pegboard activity wall that has been mounted next to a bed. This turned out to be a great solution for a family whose child did not like to stay in bed.