Curtains Up - Huge Success!
The 2016 New London Barn Preview was greeted by an enthusiastic audience at the New London Historical Society Meeting House on April 20.
This ten-year tradition of collaboration between the NLBarn and the Historical Society was enjoyed by 90 attendees, who were treated to fun facts, teasers, and songs for the upcoming season’s schedule.
Pictured from left: New London Barn artistic director Keith Coughlin, Barn favorites Jacob Tischler, Mackenzie Dade, and Kayley Anne Collins, and board president Tom DeMille.
"Young at Art" Deadline Extended
The New London Historical Society invites young artists to enter the “Young at Art” show to be held Sunday, May 15 from 1 to 4 p.m. at the New London Historical Village.
Entries accepted from students in kindergarten through high school must be submitted by May 6.
Cash prizes awarded for first, second, and third place in each grade level. For more details and information, call the NLHS office at (603) 526-6564. [More]
Fourth Grade Open House-May 26
Fourth Grade Open House in the Village is an annual tradition to which we look forward each spring.
A highlight of the day is a tour of the transportation building to see and learn the story of many types of restored conveyances that sure don’t look like Mom’s minivan!
Fourth graders studying the early 19th century visit the Historical Village for a day. The Village is staffed with character reenactors who demonstrate activities such as hearthside cooking, spinning, and blacksmithing . Children are allowed to barter at the Country Store, stop in to the schoolhouse for a lesson, and play games and sing songs of the time.
Join us for a tasty and fun-filled afternoon Sunday, June 26, in the New London Historical Village from 1-4 p.m.
Admission is $6.00 for members and $8.00 for nonmembers. Children 12 and under are FREE. [More]
- Help crank out delicious strawberry ice cream on the old-fashioned ice cream maker.
- Enter the Berry Delicious Contest & vie for cash prizes.
- Enjoy songs performed by the New London Barn Playhouse summer junior interns.
- Join in the Village-wide scavenger hunt.
- Stop at the Country Store for a variety of penny candy, cold beverages, and gifts.
- Participate in raffles.
- Try your hand at marionettes and enjoy challenging games by Bill Burris.
IN THE NEWS
We've launched our 2016 Business Partner Membership
Partnering with the NLHS demonstrates commitment to the community by supporting a valuable cultural and educational resource. We appreciate the support of these businesses, and hope you will thank them too.
Log on to the NLHS website to join. Your membership will run through December 31, 2016.
- Apple Tree Opticians
- Barton Insurance Agency
- Belletetes, Inc.
- Bob's Beacon Marina
- Burkehaven Lodge
- C.A. Miller Plumbing and Heating
- Clarke's Hardware
- Colby Insurance Group
- Colonial Pharmacy
- Country Houses, LLC
- Echo Communications Inc.
- Herbert's of New London
- John Kiernan's Village Sports
- LaValley Building Supply, Inc.
- Mount Sunapee Resort
- New London Barn Playhouse
- Old Hampshire Designs, Inc.
- Pellettieri Associates, Inc.
- Roberts Scarlett Pharmacy
2016 Individual Membership Drive Starts in May...
...and there are several new benefits:
Log on to the NLHS website to join. We will count your membership toward 2016-2017.
- Two guest passes for events
- FREE admission to the Village
- Discounted admission to events
- Discounted facility rentals
- Discount Hands-on Summer Camp
- 10% discount on Country Store gift items.
- Free admission Mt. Kearsarge Indian Museum July 2016
- Free admission NH Telephone Museum August 2016
- Member Night at the New London Barn Playhouse - discount ticket and porch reception
Village Installs New “Privy”
Construction has begun on an up-to-date restroom facility for the Village!
Builder Jay Preston is confident that our new facility will be finished and available for the 2016 season. This new "privy" will be located by the Phillips Barn, and the design will blend in with the 19th Century style and charm—all the while being ADA compliant, convenient, and family friendly.
Many thanks to Bonin Architects for the pro bono plans and to Bell Construction and Jay Preston for their pricing considerations.
The Village will now be just a wee bit more visitor friendly!
Casting Call for Village Volunteers
Be the welcoming face of the New London Historical Society as a village guide or other volunteer.
Guides have great fun showing visitors around the Village and sharing their knowledge and favorite stories about our collections. If you enjoy people, this is the job for you! [More]
Hands-on History Camp
Explore local history through hands-on activities at the NEW summer day camp in the New London Historical Village. Walk on stilts, work with a blacksmith, and cook on an open hearth. Learn how to spin, churn butter, make ice cream, and contra dance. These and many more activities are part of the camp curriculum.
Two one-week sessions are available: July 11 – 16 and July 18 – 22. The camp runs from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. each day, and you may attend one or both of the sessions. Cost is $200 for one week. $375 for two weeks.
For details contact Maureen Strachan at 603-732-4353 or email <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
New London Historical Village Rental
For your next event or meeting, the New London Historical Village is the ideal local setting.
Whether you are hosting a business meeting or planning a wedding—or just about anything in between—we have the ability to meet your needs. For more information log on to www.newlondonhistoricalsociety.org under the “Programs & Rentals” tab for more information.
Support NLHS by shopping AmazonSmile
Many of us do a significant amount of shopping online. If you shop Amazon, then shop, Amazon.Smile.com. Identify the New London Historical Society as your nonprofit and make your purchases as usual!
Hannaford’s Reusable Bag Donation Program
- Amazon will donate 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to New London Historical Society.
- AmazonSmile is the same Amazon you know. Same products, same prices, same service. The only difference is that the Historical Society is benefitting every time you make a purchase.
During the month of June, purchase your reusable Hannaford’s Shopping Bag, and Hannaford’s will donate a dollar to the New London Historical Society. We are honored to be chosen .