monthly newsletter  //  december 2016



The Community Choices Customized Employment department is excited to be working with Scotty's Brewhouse, a new restaurant opening on South Neil Street in Champaign on December 1st. Based out of Indiana, the restaurant chain has made it part of their mission to hire people from all walks of life. General Manager, Tim Jongsma, approached Community Choices, wanting to hire several of our individuals for various jobs. "We are trying to change people's perceptions of people with disabilities. They have so much to contribute," says Tim.

Kris Flewelling has been hired as a dishwasher, and Joules Howard has been hired to help out with various server and host tasks. Kris states that "It's a very friendly environment. I like my coworkers and haven't had any problems." Joules will be assisting the servers and hostesses during the lunch shift a couple days a week and states, "I have a fun time doing it!" We are so proud to have Scotty's Brewhouse as part of our community and appreciate everything they are doing to make a difference. 

More Information:
2001 S Neil St, Champaign, IL 61820


In Loving Memory…

Our dear friend and cooperative member, Doug Burnison, has passed away.  Doug’s wit, humor, and loving attitude made him a joy to be around.  He was always recognizable with his vibrant laugh and generous spirit.  Community Choices members were lucky to know him from social gatherings he attended, often with his mother Mary.

Doug held a steady job at the County Market (formerly the IGA) in Rantoul since 1983 but was recently working with Community Choices’ Employment Specialist, Erynn, to seek out new job opportunities.  Doug also received Home-based Support Service Facilitation from Community Choices for the past two years.

Always eager to take advantage of what life had to offer, this summer, Doug was delighted to take a much sought-after vacation to Disney World with his friends and Personal Support Workers, Kristian and Taylor.

In a memorial to Doug, Kristian recalls:
Taylor and I got to see into Doug's life, and we had the privilege of being able to look at life from Doug's perspective. Doug didn't see the world as a dark, scary place. His perspective was one of pure innocence. He enjoyed the little things. He liked cartoons, country music, and comic books. If you got him started on Star Wars, he would talk your ear off for hours if you let him. But above all, he loved his family and his friends.

Growing up, I only knew Doug as the guy who bagged my groceries at IGA and gave out noogies that were just a bit too hard. Through our work with Community Choices, I had the opportunity to get to know him for who he truly was. And that made all the difference.

We are grateful to have known you. Rest in peace, Doug.”


We are so excited to share Community Choices’ Annual Report From Fiscal Year 2016! You can view and download it HERE: CC ANNUAL REPORT FY2016. In the report, you will read some individual success stories as well as find an overview of all our accomplishments over the year. The goals that we have achieved would not have been possible without your support and contributions. We are so grateful to have you as part of our vibrant and generous community.
It is with the support and partnerships of people like you that we are able to grow in these uncertain times. Our funding comes from local boards and state fee-for-service contracts, which covers about 85% of our expenses. The other 15% is funded through wonderful people like you. Would you consider contributing to the work of Community Choices?

There are many ways to give. You can mail a check to 44 E. Main Suite 419, Champaign, IL 61820, give online through PayPal at, or become a Sustaining Donor by filling out and returning the Authorization Form to set up an automatically deducted monthly contribution. The Sustaining Donor Authorization Form can be downloaded HERE: CC Sustaining Donor Form.



University of Illinois Hockey
Community Choices Holiday Family Party
CC Trivia Team at Jupiter's at the Crossing
Lunch Club at Noodles & Company

**Community Choices membership and RSVPs are required to attend social events. To discuss membership or to RSVP, contact Hannah Sheets, Membership Coordinator, at or 217-621-1090.


Due to the busy Holiday Season, we will not be holding a monthly meeting in December. Happy Holidays and we look forward to seeing you at our next one in January!

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
Community Choices · 44 E Main, Suite 419 · Champaign, Il 61820 · USA

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp