DOH Updates
Emergency Assistance Program Updates
The Division of Housing’s rental and mortgage assistance programs are in full swing. Both programs are available to help households that have financial need due to COVID-19 pay their rent or mortgage as far back as March 1, 2020:

The Property Owner Preservation (POP) program allows landlords to apply for rental assistance on behalf of their tenants. 
  • 634 property owners have enrolled in the program since July 15th.
  • $1.35 million has been paid out with another $3 million expected in subsequent requests from registered property owners. 

The Emergency Housing Assistance Program (EHAP) allows individual households to apply for rental and mortgage assistance through one of 20 agencies across the state. 

  • $5.5 million has been contracted out to our partner agencies, with approximately $3 million provided in rental assistance or mortgage assistance so far.
Learn more or apply for POP or EHAP programs
DOH Emergency Assistance
Property Owner Preservation (POP) Program Clarifications 
  • The POP program can reimburse reasonable fees in the lease, excluding late fees, legal fees and fees charged for returned payments due to insufficient funds.
  • Tenants or units supported with housing vouchers are not eligible for DOH rental assistance programs because voucher programs allow for the tenant to adjust their rent based on income. 
  • The POP program pays rent in arrears as far back as March 1, 2020. Property Owners can apply on the 15th of each month for tenants unable to pay their current rent due to the impacts of COVID-19.
  • As a part of the POP request for payment, property owners must submit a “Certification of Need” signed by each tenant household. The bilingual (English/Spanish) document can be found here
  • The POP program is for landlords to apply on behalf of their tenants. Tenants/residents are NOT eligible to apply directly through the POP program. Residents must apply through the Emergency Housing Assistance Program (EHAP). Residents needing housing assistance can: Apply onlineDial 211 or to find the agency that can connect you to rental or mortgage assistance, or find an agency nearby.
If the tenant or anyone in the tenant household is legally related to the property owner, the property owner is not eligible for the POP program. The tenant may seek rental assistance through one of our agency partners in the EHAP. EHAP has been set up to accept tenant applicants that are related to the property owner, including collecting documentation that protects the state from fraudulent requests. 
  • The Property Owner Preservation (POP) program may allow related tenant-landlords through a waiver process for tenants who are unable to apply through EHAP due to health concerns or disability. The request for waiver can be found on the POP web page.
The Division of Housing Is Hiring!

Housing Development Manager  - closing date 9/16/2020 11:59 P.M. Mountain 

This position exists to develop new funding programs and policies to meet Coloradans’ affordable housing needs and implement funding programs to ensure services and housing reach the intended recipients throughout Colorado. More information available here

Copyright ©2020 Department of Local Affairs, All rights reserved.

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list