It's always time to do the right thing.
Happy New Year!
Whether you're a big resolution-maker or not, New Years usually prompts a little reflection: What's my purpose? What kind of legacy am I creating? How am I meeting my responsibilities? What needs more attention and energy? What needs less?
Our purpose and focus changes over time. We never land on an unchanging direction or final decision. For some of us, that's good news, and others of us might wish life was more predictable. What I'm certain of, though, is that there is always value in doing the next right thing, if just for its own sake. We don't know if it will bring success or clarity, just that we have to do it in order to sleep at night or to be proud of the lives we're living and the organizations we're leading.
What's on your mind as 2018 begins? What's the next right thing in your own leadership, your life, or in the life of your organization? And how can I help? A few things I helped with in 2017:
And if you're itching to begin January with a bang, my colleague Laura Todd and I are teaching another Enneagram for Beginners workshop on Saturday, January 20, 9:00-1:00 in Bellingham. You can sign up HERE.
- Worked with three levels of leadership in the natural foods business, helping them clarify their roles, lines of communication, and expectations of one another
- Designed and led sessions for a cohort of regional grocery store managers to craft a new vision for customer service
- Facilitated planning sessions for a large social venture with multiple lines of business, helping them set strategic goals for 2018
- With an internal design team, brought together 300 community college employees for a half-day visioning session to give input on a new strategic plan
- Taught workshops and facilitated coaching sessions using the Enneagram, a powerful and transformative personality tool
- Helped several senior leaders terminate employees who weren't contributing to the culture and mission of their organization
- Mediated conflict between a CEO and a member of her leadership team, resulting in a vastly improved team culture and clearer direction for the company
- Coached all sorts of folks looking for a change partner during a pivotal moment in their life or career
Whatever 2017 was like for you and whatever 2018 holds, I'm glad we are sharing this planet and I hope our paths cross this year.