News From the Consortium
- If you are attending ACSM in Boston and would like to attend a lunch outing with ATOAC please let Jeff Driban know.
- Please let ATOAC members know about your talks and news coverage of your work. It’s a great way for the Consortium to highlight how athletic trainers are raising awareness and advancing research. Email Jeff Driban any updates.
- Check out ATOAC's first webinar: OA Related Biomarkers A Walkthrough with BIPEDS
- Support fellow ATOAC members during their NATA Foundation Free Communication presentations. See a complete list here.
- The Public Relations and Collaboration Work Group designed a QR code for posters and presentations that will take a person to our sign-up page. The QR code can be downloaded here.
ATOAC Annual Meeting - Register Soon!
Check out the Updated Program
The ATOAC Annual Meeting will be held on Tuesday June 21st at the Baltimore Convention Center from 8:00am – 12:00pm. If you plan on attending this free event please register by emailing Brian Pietrosimone ASAP.
May Publications by ATOAC Members
- Waterman BR, Martin KD, Cameron KL, Owens BD, Belmont PJ Jr. Simulation Training Improves Surgical Proficiency and Safety During Diagnostic Shoulder Arthroscopy Performed by Residents. Orthopedics. 2016 May 2:1-7. doi: 10.3928/01477447-20160427-02. [Epub ahead of print]
- Driban JB. Tapping into the Evidence Pipeline—The Role of Social Media in Evidence-Based Practice. International Journal of Athletic Therapy & Training. 2016. 21 (3):1-4.
- Thomas AC, Hubbard-Turner T, Wikstrom EA, Palmieri-Smith RM. Epidemiology of Posttraumatic Osteoarthritis. J Athl Train. 2016 May 4. [Epub ahead of print]
- Pietrosimone BG, Blackburn JT, Golightly YM, Harkey MS, Luc BA, DeFreese JD, Padua DA, Jordan JM, Bennell KL. Certified Athletic Trainers' Knowledge and Perceptions of Posttraumatic Osteoarthritis After Knee Injury. J Athl Train. 2016 May 4. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hoch JM, Perkins WO, Hartman J, Hoch MC. Somatosensory Deficits in Post-ACL Reconstruction Patients: A Case-Control Study. Muscle Nerve. 2016 May 3. doi: 10.1002/mus.25167. [Epub ahead of print]
- Svoboda CS, Owens LB, Harvey TM, Tarwater PM, Brechue WF, Cameron KL. The Association Between Serum Biomarkers of Collagen Turnover and Subsequent Anterior Cruciate Ligament Rupture. Am J Sports Med. 2016 Apr 15. pii: 0363546516640515. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lanzi JT Jr, Felix J, Tucker CJ, Cameron KL, Rogers J, Owens BD, Svoboda SJ. Comparison of the Suture Anchor and Transosseous Techniques for Patellar Tendon Repair: A Biomechanical Study. Am J Sports Med. 2016 May 13. pii: 0363546516643811. [Epub ahead of print]
- Wang C, Schmid CH, Iversen MD, Harvey WF, Fielding FA, Driban JB, Price LL, Wong JB, Reid KF, Rones R, McAlindon TE. Comparative Effectiveness of Tai Chi Versus Physical Therapy for Knee Osteoarthritis: A Randomized Trial. Annals Intern Med. Published online 17 May 2016 doi:10.7326/M15-2143
- Cattano NM, Driban JB, Barbe MF, Tierney RT, Amin M, Sitler MR. Biochemical Response to a Moderate Running Bout in Participants With or Without a History of Acute Knee Injury. J Athl Train. 2016 May 17. [Epub ahead of print]
- Driban JB, Price LL, Lynch J, Nevitt M, Lo G, Eaton CB, McAlindon TE. Defining and evaluating a novel outcome measure representing end-stage knee osteoarthritis: data from the Osteoarthritis Initiative. Clin Rheumatol. 2016 May 16. [Epub ahead of print]
- Terada M, Bowker S, Thomas AC, Pietrosimone B, Hiller CE, Gribble PA. Corticospinal Excitability and Inhibition of the Soleus in Individuals with Chronic Ankle Instability. PM R. 2016 May 18. pii: S1934-1482(16)30115-0. doi: 10.1016/j.pmrj.2016.04.006. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kuenze C, Eltoukhy M, Kelly A, Kim CY. Impact of Quadriceps Strengthening Response to Fatiguing Exercise following ACL Reconstruction. J Sci Med Sport. 2016 May 21. [Epub ahead of print]
- Vacek PM, Slauterbeck JR, Tourville TW, Sturnick DR, Holterman LA, Smith HC, Shultz SJ, Johnson RJ, Tourville KJ, Beynnon BD. Multivariate Analysis of the Risk Factors for First-Time Noncontact ACL Injury in High School and College Athletes: A Prospective Cohort Study With a Nested, Matched Case-Control Analysis. Am J Sports Med. 2016 Mar 29. pii: 0363546516634682. [Epub ahead of print]
- Terada M, Kosik KB, McCann RS, Gribble PA. Diaphragm Contractility in Individuals with Chronic Ankle Instability. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2016 May 26. [Epub ahead of print]
ATOAC Members in the News
ATOAC Members Who Recently Received Funding or Awards
Matthew Harkey, William Tessendorf Scholarship (NATA Foundation)
Janet Simon - Doctoral Oral Student Award Finalists for NATA Foundation Free Communications
Lindsey Lepley – NATA Foundation’s Doctoral Dissertation Award
Jeffrey Driban – NATA Foundation’s New Investigator Award
Joe Hart – NATA Fellow
Randy Schmitz – NATA Fellow
Tricia Hubbard-Turner – NATA Fellow
ATOAC Members Upcoming Talks
July 2016: Far West Athletic Trainers’ Association’s Educational Program 2016
Knee Mechanics across the Lifespan: Implications for Prevention and Care of Pathologies.
Christopher Stickley & Samantha Andrews
Clinical Evaluation of Individuals at Risk for Patellofemoral Pain: Techniques for Assessment and Intervention.
Identification and Management of Post-Concussion Syndrome Patients with Cervicogenic and Vestibular Ocular Dysfunction: Moving beyond Brain Physiology.
Paul A. Ullucci
** NOTE: If we are missing anything or you would like to add something to next month’s newsletter please let Jeff Driban know and it will be add to next month’s newsletter. **