Something's in the air
A lot has happened in the 10 days since KOA (Keep Our Assets Canterbury) announced John as our mayoral candidate.
The extent to which our foray into electoral politics was to ignited interest hadn’t dawned on us until we needed to hastily move the campaign announcement to a larger room to accommodate the number of journalists present. That something is in the air was confirmed at our first organising meeting last Saturday where the attendance, offers of assistance and donations far exceeded our expectations.
Elsewhere there have been those who cautiously welcomed our entry into the race and those who took a dimmer view.
KOA is not standing to “wave the flag” on asset sales. We are standing a candidate to win the mayoralty with a progressive, people centred, programme.
Our key policies include –
We won’t have big money to back us and the success of the campaign will depend on how many people get out and help spread the word in the next eight weeks or so. There are many ways you can help – read on.
- Stopping asset sales
- Free and frequent public transport
- The living wage as the minimum for all council employees or contractors
- Building 1000 additional council homes for rent and rent to buy in 3 years
- Ending the corporate stranglehold on the CBD rebuild with stiff rate increases on undeveloped land
- All Canterbury rivers to be swimmable
Badges Leaflets and Billboards
$2 each - Contact Bronwen Summers 550-0132, email@example.com, 21 York St, Waltham
We have the first 10,000 leaflets printed. These are very attractive and explain the policies in a bit more detail. If you can deliver these around your local streets please contact Warren – 027 226-9950.
The first 100 billboards are out – these are available for anyone with a street frontage. If you can contribute to the $18 cost each that will mean we can get more printed… we hope to print one on each of our main campaign issues.
please enter your name in the details
We have three pickup points for billboard if you want to grab your own. Otherwise we will drop them of and/or erect them for you. Call warren 027 226-9950
$25 each S, M, L, XL, and XXL sizes – Contact Bronwen Summers 550-0132, firstname.lastname@example.org, 21 York St, Waltham.
Other ways you can help
Every Saturday morning – starting on 6 August – we will be meeting at 10am at John’s place 21 York Street, Waltham to organise helping spread the word. Everyone welcome
Can you organise a cottage meeting in your suburb for John to speak to?
- Can you join a group to leaflet our weekend markets?
- Can you be a coordinator in your local suburb or community?
- Can you write letters to the local media? If you write then please send a copy to Murray at email@example.com who will be monitoring media commentary.
Coming events ~ Campaign Launch
The next big campaign event is the campaign launch which will be on
Saturday 20th August
1pm to 2pm
Workers Education Association Hall
59 Gloucester Street
PUT THIS DATE IN YOUR DIARY NOW!
We have raised $4,000 so far but we hope to get to $12,000. (At the last election current mayor Lianne Dalziel spent $55,000! All donations are anonymous unless they are over $1,500 in which case they must be declared)
- Direct bank transfer to Keep our Assets Canterbury:
- Send a cheque to Keep our Assets Canterbury, Box 2258, Christchurch 8140.
- Donate via Paypal from the website at www.mintoformayor.org.nz
For any information about the KOA Campaign to bring the change to Christchurch contact
Minto For Mayor Campaign Coordinator
027 226-9950 or firstname.lastname@example.org
You are receiving this Minto For Mayor campaign bulletin because your contact details are on one of our lists. If you do not wish to receive further issues there is an unsubscribe function below.
Authorised by John Minto, 21 York Street Waltham, Christchurch 8023