Food for Thought
What role does Sound play in your Life? Many years ago, I had a friend who was hearing impaired. What was interesting is that she came into my life at a time when I was doing a lot of guitar playing (live and in the studio) and she was never able to hear me play. However, she would watch my hands and she would put her hand over the guitar amplifier and was able to sense the sounds.
We live in a world that focuses on Visuals. Sound is often over looked, or is most commonly considered intrusive due to excessive volume. Here in India--especially in urban India--the sound of the honking horn is so common, it no longer has any impact or effect. Since the horns are often honking, no one really pays attention to them anymore! Yet, a horn honk in my native California will have everyone checking their mirrors and can cause many forms of sign language to take place between drivers...
This leads me to some Food for Thought...
- How do you react to pure silence? When was the last time you experienced it, especially if you do consider brain chatter as sound?
- How loud is your television? Your radio? Your Ipod?
- How loud are you when on the phone? How loud is your ringer? How loud is your call waiting message or music?
- Do you ever think or consider of the environmental imprint of your voice?
- How do you react towards music or to the music of Stillness?
- How active do you listen to words? The environment? Your Inner Voice?
- What music heals you?
- Do you play a musical instrument? If not, would you care to? If so, which one? Why?
- Do you ever use the instrument of your voice? In what way?
- Does a song play in your head right now? If so, which one? Does it match the tempo of your life at this particular moment?
- What song(s) would you like them to play at your funeral?
- Do you ever stop and listen to the music of the wind? Or the music of the rain? Or the music of fog?
- Crickets and frogs...bliss or annoyance? How many crickets or frogs are too many?
- How do you feel about the sound of thunder?
- What is your personal tempo or rhythm?
- What song takes you right back to your childhood?
- How aware are you of the sounds that surround you at present? Take a moment and listen and count...how loud are they? How quiet? How silent can you hear?
- Do you honor your hearing?
It is said that the sound of a single drum, when played with intention, brings the power of 10 people praying.
A Power Song can fill far more than a room....
A sound can bring you back to your past or can catapult you way into the future....
In our courses, we intone to see with the Eyes of the Heart. Here, I ask that you listen from the Heart.
Sound is a child of Air and the Medicine of Air is Life. It carries upon it freshness and air is the carrier of ideas and inspiration.
Open yourself to the world of Sound and Vibration. Feel the Power of Sound that blesses us, for it always there, even in the perfection of stillness where we can listen to the heart beat of both the Earth Mother and that of ourselves.